Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wednesday's Wooden Word Bowl Tutorial

I was looking at glass dishware and candlesticks to upcycle into cake plates, when I came across this ugly old wooden pillar candle stick.  I had also recently purchased (another!) wooden bowl.  I like to use them for parties to serve chips because they look nicer than plastic, but I don't have to worry about them being broken as I would with glass. 

However, this one had a few knicks and marks on it, so I decided to combine it with the candlestick to make something wonderful!  I started with these:

Before
I decided to go with a very modern color scheme, but basic since I wanted to embellish the bowl with something.  At that point, I still wasn't sure what!  But I painted the candlestick white and the bowl black.

I used a super adhesive to attach the two parts together.  This particular adhesive was made for many surfaces, including glass.  Since these were wood, I probably could have used something less powerful.  However, I already had this one opened since I was also doing glass that day.  Following the directions on the adhesive, I put some on both pieces and let it set for a few minutes before putting them together.

I decided to spray paint a hint of white on the inside of the bowl so that it would soften the look and create a better canvas for whatever I decided to put on the bowl.  The newspaper there gave me an idea...

I began cutting random words out of article titles.  After cutting out all of the words I thought were interesting or useable, I started playing around with them and forming a sentence.  I came up with this:



I used Mod Podge to attach the letters to the inside of the bowl.  I then put a coat of Mod Podge all over the inside and outside of the black bowl to give it a smooth shiny appearance.

I let it dry completely and here's the final product:


Now it sits in my shop for sale with the other upcycled items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment